Friday, August 29, 2014

Chicagoan Pickers

Labor Day Weekend.
ROAD TRIP!  

anyone need a windmill?


Today I took Mom to Long Grove, Illinois.  
What's in Long Grove, IL?  
Old people nice folks and old stuff antique stores.  
Not much else.

After a lunch of light fish and white wine (I have suddenly aged 40 years) I stepped into the hot sun and 95 degree tempurates.  Wow, it's hot!  

I felt awesome-mmm-ly buzzed.  Shopping?  Sure.  

My favorite thing about antique store shopping is all of the layers.  A good antique store is like a puzzle of jewelry, china and every which collectible.  It's dizzying - even more so after that Chardonnay.  I walked into "The Emporium" on Coffin Road (insert joke here) and was instantly overwhelmed.  

Whoa.  Where do I begin?

soooo much stuff

That's easy.  
JEWELRY.

I immediately found a glass case filled to the top with all things shiny.  "What are you looking for today?"  HOLY SHI...  Where did that come from?  I turn my eye to see the corpse like woman sitting in the corner.  Haha...  "Hey, yeah.  Just looking for something that jumps out at me (like you just did, buzz wrecker!)"  We discussed the joys and pains of clip-on earrings and then I moseyed on over to the other side of the room.  She was very sweet, actually.  
And not dead.  I think.

is that a ghost?

On the other side of the store I found even MORE JEWELRY!  The owner of the store, Penny, explained that everything was ON SALE to the tune of 40% off because of a recent flood.  Too much inventory and not enough space means great deals for moi.  Love it!

Here's what I bought:

I didn't buy this.  
I just needed to photograph it for Ms. J because she J'adores Dior

I did buy this.  
A musical jewelry box.  It works too!

Pewter and enamel butterfly ring
$6.00!  

Do you Karla take this pear shaped beauty for $10.00?  
I DO.

Milk Glass Vase from the 1940s?
It's old.  
Don't break it.

Vase?  
Wine Glass?  
Same Thing.
Hopefully I don't catch the syphilis from drinking out of it.

I scored vintage stage money bills FOR FREE after I told the owner that I sell theater tickets.
The Van Horn & Son Theatrical Costume Firm was in operation from 1852-1952. 
These will look great framed in my office!
Thanks Penny.

I needed some chocolate after all of that rummaging.  

It's not a Turtle.
It's a Myrtle.
Better get to bed.  It's after 7:00PM.














No comments:

Post a Comment